Friday, November 20, 2015

Losses...

I was going to post about the mud pit my property has become with all the rain, and about 6" of melting snow, but wanted to acknowledge two really wonderful men.

This has been a sad 3 weeks now. I've lost two male cousins to sudden, unexpected deaths...both due to heart issues. One comes from my Father's side of the family...the other my Mother's. They left behind spouses, children, Grandchildren, many other family members, and friends. Both Bobby and Doug were about 12 years older than me, and though I didn't know them as well as the cousins I grew up with in close proximity, I did know them. They'll be missed.

Bobby

Bobby was my Aunt Ursie and Uncle Topper's only son (my Dad's sister...both preceded Bobby), and they lived in IN...I grew up in IL. They visited us from time to time, and we went to see them a time or two when I was young. Best of all? During my travels over the years, along with my children, we would stop to visit Bobby and his family in TX, so my children got to know Bobby (and his children), as well. That continuity of family relationships is such an awesome thing.

Bobby was a teacher, scientist, geologist, and all 'round good guy. He encouraged so many of his students with a love of science, and that would include my youngest son. Tommy was very interested in geology and paleontology at a young age, and Bobby turned him onto finding fossils, and gave him a real dinosaur bone and fossilized shark's tooth for his collection. They taught my kids and I how to play the card game "Spoons", which my daughter Sunshine excelled at!! It's an aggressive game...Sunshine broke one of the kitchen table chairs. Visiting with Bobby and his family are some of the more memorable family visits my kids remember.

Doug
Doug was my Aunt Donna's oldest son (my Mom's older sister), and they lived in CA. That was a good long distance to encourage very many visits...particularly when Aunt Donna had 10 children, and there were 6 kids in my family. However, Aunt Donna and Mom's brother, my Uncle Mike, was close in age with Doug...they spent a lot of time together. As a teen, Uncle Mike even lived in CA with the Clan (as they lovingly call themselves) for a year or so. Uncle Mike is crushed with Doug's passing...as are the rest of Doug's immediate family.

I remember Doug mostly in connection with his siblings during our visits to their CA home. I traveled a lot with my kids when they were young, and we made several trips to CA to visit Aunt Donna and family. It was important to me that my kids know ALL of their family...even those further away. So, during our visits, the Clan would plan a weekend gathering so we could spend time together. Doug was always so full of life, and humor! A funnier man I've never met. He always kept us in stitches with his jokes, and pranks on his siblings and children. He was well loved, and respected by everyone who knew him...a man of strong principles with family at the center of his life.

These were strong, moral men with incredible family ties. They'll be missed.

Ciao...

2 comments:

baili said...

i am really sorry ,loosing someone so close is quite painful experience ,but this is life and is really unpredictable we have to face it with courage and strength ,may peace and rest to their souls amen,god bless

LuRocks said...

Thank you, baili. I agree...loss is part of life. They'll be missed.