Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I feel very fortunate...

I've been talking with a good friend who lives in Oakland, CA, and is a movie set designer. Scott's going to come live on the property for a month or two when I get my cabin in place, and help me do much of the work inside the cabin. He's a very skilled craftsman, and will save me tons of money, frustration, and time by hiring him to work with me up there.

While I'd love to hire locally, because it's such a rural area, I'm told it's difficult to get dependable folks to do work as I'll need done to finish the inside of the cabin. Very difficult. My buds that live up there...the Fifields...say that having Scott up there will be a godsend. They wish they'd had a similar option early on. So...I'm feeling really fortunate...and grateful...to have such a skilled friend who can take the time to drive up and help me out.

We'll have to work around his jobs in CA, but he assures me it won't be difficult, and I'll have him for the duration. I figure we can get all the insulation hung, plumbing (shower, kitchen/bathroom sinks, etc), wiring/boxes run and hung, I'll get a couple young fellas (former students who live about an hour away) to help with hanging the drywall, build the wood stove fire barrier, and I'll be good to go to do the finish work myself. Scott says...maybe 6 weeks...probably not that long. Depends on issues with mud (it gets pretty icky certain times of the year) for supply deliveries, and gettin' in and out to pick up what we can ourselves.

Of course, I'll have a professional install the wood stove...not attempting that myself. I want it done right so as to avoid fire hazards. I'll also have an electrician connect the wiring to the main to avoid electrical problems/hazards, and so the all the areas that need inspecting will pass. Because my property is where it's at, I don't really have to do the inspections, but I don't want my kids to run into problems (someday farrrrrrr from now) if they should decide to sell the land/cabin.

So, though things are kind of quiet at this point, I'm still reading, studying, and researching a variety of things in order to refine skills I already possess, and to acquire others that will be needed. I sorely miss my laying hens...daaaaaang those eggs were scrumptious, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching their antics scampering around my yard. I'm itching to move up there, and keep looking at different ways in which I can do so. Realistically? Not in my best interest...so I'll keep plugging along, but it's hard...particularly now...Spring...planning...planting...*groans*...itchin' itchin' itchin' to git 'er done!

Thanks for reading...Ciao...Lu

No comments: