Friday, October 23, 2015

Rain, rain go away!

It's been rainy since last weekend. Aside from making a mess of the main road out of here, my driveway (around 300' or so) is a mud pit, and going anywhere is a tad...well...not safe (nearly slid off the side of the road down the hill), I can't work outside finishing up the hen house and run. I really don't have much more to do: cover roof with tar paper, edge with flashing, then put the roof on...easy peasy. The run already has the posts cemented in place, so all I need to do is put up the chicken wire, and fashion a simple gate into the run. I've decided to wait till Spring to whitewash the inside. I'm running out of time before 'real' winter weather hits.

My friend and I went to Albuquerque for a play day hittin' second hand stores, and to pick up more chicks. She found a lady in Albuquerque who breeds chicks all year long...has quite the set up there. Rose got 6 Buff Orpingtons, and I got 2 Buffs and one black Australorp. They're all 3 weeks old now, so Rose is keeping them in her house in my dogs old wire kennel. All 9 chicks fit just fine, and are growing fast...feathering out already. We're feeding non-GMO feed, fresh fruit/veggie scraps, and baby chick grit. They're flourishing! Sooooo...I need the room for them to all roam once they can be put outside. I know it'll be awhile just yet, but I need them secure for the winter. Next time I run up to Rose's, I'll snap some pics and post them.

Been going to doctor appointments this and last week...just establishing myself as a patient, but have some tests coming up that will put me away from home for a day here and there. The dreaded colonoscopy is one of them. Now...how does that relate to homesteading, alternative living, etc? Well...colonoscopy prep is just plain nasty...a thorough colon clean out. You get my drift? Well, I have a very simple composting toilet system...chuckles...a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat using coco-coir (coconut fibers).
The toilet is in the corner with white bucket next to it containing the coco-coir.
 I started off using sawdust but stopped when I found a Child of the Earth bug in my sawdust. They're not poisonous, but can make a stink, and give a nasty, painful bite. Yeah...not goin' there...thank you very much.

I'm telling you...the head on this thing was nearly the size of a small marble! I'm not having anything like that near my bum...lemme tell ya! One of my former students is off grid using a composting toilet, and he told me about the coco-coir...ordered...been using for a few weeks now. It's not quite as good at masking odors as the sawdust, but does the job well enough.

Anyway...using my little composting set up while doing the prep for the colonoscopy isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination. I'll probably stay at the Bunkhouse, which has running water, regular toilet, etc. It'll be easier to deal with the prep that needs to be done.

I'm older than probably most people doing what I'm doing. I'll be 57 yrs. old next month, so I'll be dealing with things like this that the younger homesteaders aren't dealing with when using alternative systems within their homes. And...I'm single...so am doing this by myself as well. I also have some health issues that need to be considered.
Me (left) with my sisters...Middle sister, Jeanette, in the middle...Baby sis, Niecey, on the right.

Me...hosing down the GrandBabies :) in my Ma's front yard.
I'll be honest...I didn't think about this type of situation during my planning. I did consider the health issues, but didn't think a composting toilet would be an issue. Unfortunately, it is. As a result, I've decided to put in a simple septic system with a low flow toilet. Though this is my guest cabin, I'll be living in it till either next Spring or Spring 2017. It will cost less money to do this than to install a quality composting toilet, and finances are critical at this point...so have to be considered. I also had to consider guests, and their ability/willingness to deal with a composting toilet system responsibly, and the fact that my son and his family will eventually inhabit this cabin during visits...6 people using a composting toilet would be a nightmare.

Is this a compromise I'm comfortable with when considering earth friendly concerns? Yes and no. Yes, because it's more practical given my age, health issues, and guests who'll be staying in this cabin. No, because I'm not so clear on the long term consequences to the soil when one uses a septic system...even a simple, smaller one.

So...learning, learning, learning. I'm still waiting for the well driller to install my well pump, and have called several others for estimates. I'm fairly certain that it won't get done before winter hits hard...probably not till next Spring. It's all good...frustrating at times...tedious at others (particularly with dishwashing and showers), but doable none-the-less. All part of the process...yes?

Ciao

 

No comments: