Thursday, October 29, 2015

Welllllll...

I was going to work on the hen house/run today, but it's raining again. Yesterday would have been a perfect day for this work, but I had to spend the day in Grants yesterday...doing laundry, grocery shopping, running other errands. Any activity that takes me off property has to be done on dry days, too...and I wasn't prepared for the rain today. As a matter of fact, I didn't think it was supposed to rain today at all.

So, I'm taking a quiet day today. Just chillin' here at home with the critters.

I picked up an indoor/outdoor thermometer yesterday, and am monitoring the temp while using my oil-filled radiator heater. Wood stove not installed yet, and heat (when needed) is currently being supplied by this little heater. I ran it last night for a couple of hours, and warmed the cabin up to 73 degrees, after which I turned the heater off. Turned on my heated mattress pad about an hour before bed, then to low when I laid down for sleep. Woke up to a 60 degree temp inside, and 40 degrees outside. It felt colder with the dampness outside permeating the interior...though I was quite toasty while sleeping. So I turned the little heater on along with the ceiling fan on low (winter usage to push heat down with no cooling effect) to take the chill off.

It's a very comfortable, steady 68 degrees in here now, 46 degrees outside. I'll have to do a little documentation of times and temps to see how long it takes, but it seems to do the trick so far.

I have a small 2300 watt generator for power outages, but I don't believe it'll handle the heater on a high setting (1500 watts) along with the compact fridge, and cell phone amplifier/booster (the only phone access I have up here). So, I'll have to test it out on lower settings as well to be sure I won't be without heat when it gets cold.

I'd never used an electric heater of any type prior to this, and feel very cautious/nervous about doing so now. I haven't had to leave it on at night thus far, but imagine there will come a time when I'll have to at some point. That makes me nervous because of my critters. With the small space inside, I worry about them knocking it over at night, and creating a fire hazard. They've shown no interest in it so far, and haven't even come close to disturbing it in any way, but the caution is still there.

And that's my day for today! Well...I think I'll make some fresh bread today.

Ciao...

2 comments:

John Going Gently said...

And i suspect we dont hear of glens fate in episode 3

LuRocks said...

And...you were right! They focused on Morgan's journey rather than Glen's fate. Still...was a good episode.