Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Chicken Coop

When my son and his family came for a visit in August, they gifted me with work days...asking what I wanted done. lol...Really? Anything at all, they replied. Really? lol...Ok then. I want to build my hen house, line the drive with stones (tons and tons all around the property), and have a trench dug on one side of top drive area.

We worked our butts off, and man, oh man did they kick it! Tommy and I (with some help from dil Dia) built the hen house. It's very similar to the one I had in Illinois, but on a larger scale.
 
My handsome son getting ready to cut the wood.
We worked all of one day, and part of another to do all this, but it got done! They literally saved me...easily?...a month or more of work doing it all by myself. Needless to say, I was thrilled, and beyond grateful for their help.

Prep work: I dug the holes, and Tommy and I cemented the the 4"x4" base posts in place.

Beginning building the coop on stilts!

Tommy adding walls to the coop.

The finished coop with temp chick quarters in front (covered by tarp).
I have some water run-off issues when it rains. Mostly it's pretty minor, but with a 200' slope top to bottom of my property, there are bound to be a few problem areas. The driveway is one of those areas. So, I'm hoping the stones, and trenches dug here will help with some of that as it crosses the driveway.
Beautiful job lining part of the drive with stones...kind of between upper and lower drive areas.

More stone work!

Thankfully, I have a LOT of stones on my property!

At the curve on lower half of drive.

Upper drive trench.

We all worked hard, and got a lot done. Even my 3 yr. old GrandBoy dug trenches (aka holes), and moved rocks! The kids were troopers!
A restful moment in the shade.

Chillin'.

 It was a fun day.

Ciao

No comments: