Friday, September 25, 2015

Rural anomalies

While this experience has been a tremendous learning experience, it has also been one of the most stressful experiences I've had...lol...and I've had some doozies in my life.


As soon as I got here I began making phone calls to get work done: road graded in, electrician, supplies to be delivered, ordering cabin, well driller, backhoe operator, etc. I left uncountable messages with every contact I received for these different people. If I even received a call back, it was often days, and even weeks later. IF I even received a call back...often, I didn't.

My property is in a very rural area; I'm an hour from any town with 'some' amenities...like grocery stores, a WalMart, and basics like that. Home Depot and Lowe's are further away...about a 2 hour drive one way. There is a very small town about 20 minutes away where there is a small, locally owned hardware store (can you say "expensive"?), a convenience store (again, expensive), a small 'country' store (again...VERY expensive), and a locally owned restaurant. That's about it for businesses aside from a couple of real estate offices, the post office, Ranger station, and a couple of locally owned mechanics' shops.

I knew all of this when I bought this property, and I'm ok with the distance away from such things. I also realize that once the initial work is all done, trips to 'town' will lessen drastically. (I'm always having to go pick up this or that plumbing, electrical, lumber, etc.) This land is raw, and I'm developing it from the ground up...literally.

 
The real challenge, though, has been getting...and keeping...people up here to do jobs I can't do myself. But...things are progressing...slowly...but they are progressing. Will I be ready for winter? As of today? I'm not sure. Found out yesterday that my new (second) contractor may be called away for an out of country job that will prevent him from finishing the general work inside the cabin. Yet one more hurdle. The folks up here just aren't very reliable...even when they stand to make a decent amount of money from the job.

More pics later...

Ciao

No comments: