Wednesday, January 29, 2014

House on the hill...

So...this is a smaller version of the Tuffshed cabin I'll be getting for my property. It will have a few custom changes when it's all said and done...like a metal roof (safer fire hazard in NM mountains), a different siding (this beautiful example isn't available in my area), a sliding door on the front...off the porch...rather than a regular door as shown, and a second back door, as well as a few other tweeks. There won't be a loft...not available with this particular model, and I would prefer not to have one anyway. Stairs and graceless me (particularly in the middle of the night) are best not paired. I wanted the higher ceiling in this model because it gives a greater sense of size, and will allow me to do some taller storage units on walls. The 20 x 28 space will be more than large enough for me, Gracie, and the Brat Kat.

 The drawing below is a rough version of what will be done inside. Though not accounted for in this rendition, all the space taken up by wall studs and the like are accounted for in the original plans. I just did this to give an idea of what I'll be doing. Everything has been measured, and re-measured for accurate placement...furniture, appliances, wood stove placement, and cabinets.

I opted for a 6' porch because...well...I like that extension of living space to the outside, and I'm a porch dweller for times of relaxation. The cabin will sit on a cement slab, which will certainly be better than a gravel foundation. Sometime during the 2nd year there will be a small lean-to attached on the side near the back door...room left and allowed for that with window placement, etc. The lean-to will house all the solar electronics...battery bank, inverter, etc...everything that doesn't need to be inside for monitoring purposes.

I'll actually get a solar company out to the property prior to the cabin's placement (and the cement pad, of course) in order to determine best placement for solar panels...and the cabin to accommodate them. I probably won't be putting them on the cabin, but will use stationary mounting poles instead...nothing I need to decide for now.

Thanks for reading! Ciao

2 comments:

dreamer said...

I like your plans, looks like it will be cosy with everything you need to hand, and the extra porch will give you lots more usable space.

LuRocks said...

Thanks...it took me a lot of messin' around with different ideas to get it the way I wanted. It's funny...I'm really content with the 'coziness' of the cabin. My only issue is making room for my canning supplies/canned goods, etc...and making my crafty supplies available till they have their own space. Everything I've read about "tiny house" living says storage is one of the keys. I've some pretty creative ideas in that regard.