Saturday, January 18, 2014

Means to an end...

Currently, I'm living with my son and his family. I moved here the beginning of November 2013, which was a difficult move for me as I'm so used to living alone. However, there are definite benefits...one of which is the time spent with my son, daughter in law, and the Grands. I know the three oldest ones fairly well...have spent some good one on one time with each of them over the years, but I don't know the youngest as well...he's only (almost) 2. So, I'm getting to know Bumps better, which is definitely a side benefit to this whole trip.
Lt. to Rt.: Ms Gabba Wabba, RoBee, Tommy, Bumps, Dia, and Teeters.

Tommy and Dia are active military...they met while both stationed in Iraq some few years ago. They have a "yours, mine, and ours" situation with my Grands...look at those faces! I just wanna squeeze 'em and pinch 'em! They're stationed in Illinois, and own a gargantuan house that just happens to have a mother in law's quarters. That works for privacy...all 'round.

This move is beneficial to us all. I get to save a large sum of money in a short period of time (as well as my time with the Grands), and they get some much needed help around the house, and with the kids (as well as their time with...ME!). I love to cook...so thoroughly enjoy making meals for them all. Gabba, Teeters and I hang out every day after school...doin' homework, having snacks, and just hangin' out. Tommy was just promoted and placed second in command at his duty station, so there's lots of training away from home, which Dia also experiences within her job. I'm sure my 'role' will change a bit during those training times.

So...saving money. That's what will allow me to do this whole deal the way I want to do it...much sooner than I'd originally planned. I am retired...with a fixed, but comfortable income. Even so... I couldn't save enough...fast enough...to get me onto a property anytime within the next two or three years. Tommy and Dia are making this possible in a much shorter period of time. My original plan with them was to be on the property by end of May 2015, however, I'm looking at ways to make that happen by this Fall...August/September 2014. Now that I have the property, I'm anxious to get up there. Though I don't want to mess up my overall plan by jumping the gun before I'm ready financially, I'm pretty sure I can swing this move a tad earlier than originally expected. The trick will be not to take away from funds for the cabin...getting the well/septic/electric done this Spring as planned...and moving a small RV up there to live in till the cabin is completed. Finding an acceptable RV (meaning...with an arctic package that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) is the key here...the unplanned for element that will get me up there sooner.

I'm hopeful. I've been looking online at available RVs in NM and AZ. I should be able to get a smaller RV that Gracie, Brat Kat and I can live in comfortable till the cabin's ready. Nice thing is that the RV can then be a smallish guest accommodation when family and friends come to visit. I'm ready to start the observation process of my land...figuring out where the water runs during monsoons...looking at and planning sites for outbuildings...getting my garden and orchard started...building another hen house...start raisin' up my Pyr guard pup.

Patience is a virtue...right?


2 comments:

dreamer said...

You have a beautiful family and I'll bet they are enjoying some extra help around the house as much as you are enjoying spending time with the grands. What a great way to be able to cut your living costs and move forward with your plans.

LuRocks said...

Yay! My son figured this whole comment thing out for me! Thank you, dreamer. I'm not biased, mind you, but I think they're rather beautiful, too. The move has been very beneficial all 'round...thankfully. I adore my daughter-in-law, and we get along very well, which helps tremendously.