Monday, January 27, 2014

Scaling down my life...



I've spent the past few years clearing out the clutter...lots, and lots of clutter. I'm not a hoarder, but I had a couple of collections...always on display...not boxed up and put away...that I got tired of dusting all the time. Pink flamingos, brown stoneware, and colorful 30's and 40's pottery. I used to buy and sell antiques...had a nice booth in one of the local antique stores in Prescott, AZ for a couple of years. So...it was definitely a passion...and I got to make a little money off of it! Anyway...I've given things to my kids, Grands, sibs, and even a couple of my nieces, and friends as a means of getting rid of some things. The rest? It went to a second hand store in Springfield that supports victims of domestic violence.
Some of my pink flamingo collection...had a lot more of both these collections that weren't displayed in this particular house.
Some of the Brownstone and colorful pottery I'd collected over the years, and two of the three dining room pieces.
Even though I've cleaned out a lot of 'stuff', I find I still have too much. Too much to fit into the smallish cabin in which I'll be living. See...I went from about a 2000 sq ft house (where I raised my children) to about an 800 sq ft house (transition home after leaving the ex spousal unit) to a 2700 sq ft house (bought and lived in with my adult daughter and Grandboy) to an 1100 sq ft house (rental in my birth city that allowed me to be closer to family for the past 6 1/2 years). I'm not a mover...not really. I'm a nester by nature, but spent some time after ending a 25 yr marriage trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life...and where. Now that I know...well...I need to get rid of even more stuff!

I gave my too big bedroom outfit to my youngest son...a huge 4 poster bed with a humongous armoire that I couldn't even move once it was placed somewhere. I like to move furniture around rooms...so that was a frustration anyway. Beautiful pieces of furniture, but far too large for my soon to be home. Also gave him my largish L-shaped couch and various other pieces of furniture and miscellaneous doo dads. I also have a dining room set that is a family heirloom...I grew up with it, and love having it. However, it's three very large, simple lines, handmade oak pieces...5' long buffet, 3' wide china cabinet, and a 4' x 4' table with six leaves. That sh**s heavy, too! Sadly, none of my kids wanted it, and the only niece who did doesn't have room. I won't have room for it, but still have it. Can't sell it, though it's worth a small fortune...made in the early 1800's, solid oak...no veneer...beautiful, well-cared for pieces. It came from Sacred Heart rectory...where my Grandmother, Pops, and 4 of my 6 sibs attended school. The dark dents at one end of the table are where they counted the mass offerings every day...coins dented the surface. So it has an interesting provenance...aside from the fact that I was raised eating at the table, and that several of my sibs had it at one point or another before I got it. Why do I still have it? I'm saving it for one of my GrandBabes. I've planned for the space the dining set will take up in my cabin, but it will only be a temporary fit.

Can't seem to download a copy of cabin plans...but anyway...I'm purchasing a TuffShed garage shell with some custom modifications. 20'x28' equaling a total of about 560 square feet. It has 8' sidewalls with a 13'8" ceiling peak. It'll be just large enough to finish off the inside for a small...cozy...liveable space. I have the quote/estimate from the company...so have a basis with which to plan for the finishing work inside. Ultimately, it will be off grid for electricity...all solar...but I'll have the electricity for probably the first two years while I finish the inside. So...cutting down even more on the amount of 'stuff' I have will be very important. I will have as much storage as possible...included in the plans...but 'stuff' has gotta go! I mean...I even gave the majority of my Fiesta ware to my daughter...all but 4 place settings (my favorite colors, of course). I mean...really...why do I need a 9 place setting of dishes, and all the serving/etc stuff that goes with it? chucklin'...I'm gonna get her another place setting so she'll have an even 6, but I just couldn't justify keeping all of it.

Some things I won't be getting rid of, but have plans for them later. Like...I make jewelry, quilt, do pottery, knit, crochet, do needlework...blah blah blah...and have all the 'stuff' that's needed to do those things. Lots of boxes of 'stuff'...that...yes, gets used on a regular basis. But...no place to put it in my 'home' cabin. Plan for later will be to do a very simple, very small 'shell' to finish (like the cabin) where I can put all my 'craft' stuff. I'll keep that super simple...basic electricity as some of my 'tools' need electricity...no water/bath needed...insulation and drywall...paint...small...very small wood stove. And...that's where the dining room set will go. Buffet and china cabinet will make great storage, and the table holds quilts very nicely when they're bein' put together. Perfect solution! Reality is that I don't do much of that stuff during spring, summer, and fall. I'd much rather be...and usually am...outside. I do a LOT of it during the cold months when I hibernate, though.

So...thinking, planning, minimizing even that much more. lol...my kids are like..."Really, Mom! We don't want anymore 'stuff'!" Then they see the boxes of family photos with their names written on them, and have a LOT of fun looking through the photos.

Thanks for reading...ciao!

2 comments:

dreamer said...

I'm just catching up with your posts after having family visiting and not having much internet time. We had to declutter lots of stuff when we moved here from a much bigger place, it's hard to decide what to get rid of at first, but it can feel quite liberating as things dwindle.

LuRocks said...

I saw your posts on family visiting. lol...While I can read posts, I can't seem to comment...can't figure it out yet. It is liberating, and I find that I don't mind the decluttering as much as I thought I would. One of my friends even said that I was "ruthless". I have a great desire to just simplify my life...so I am in many ways.