Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Just me...

I'm a retired teacher. My subject areas were English, Women's Studies, and Creative Writing. I hold a triple Master's degree, one in each subject area, although unused these days. I was one class shy of Special Ed certification, which I fervently refused to complete as I didn't want to spend my days doing so much of the paperwork required for that student population. Instead, I used my personal background, and education to teach 'high risk' high school students...the so called 'throw away' kids...troubled...gang members...kids with behavior and emotional disorders...learning disabilities...drug and alcohol dependencies...and the like. Often, I taught social and behavioral skills along with the subject matter. I adored my kids, and was, I like to believe, an effective teacher for them. In addition to that day job, I taught one class a semester at the local community college. Because I was teaching in the evenings, my classes were largely comprised of adults, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was a difficult decision to retire...early, due to health issues, but one that was necessary for my continued well-being.

I've lived my life simply these past few years...quiet and comfortable...engaging in activities that sparked my interest, and continuing a lifelong passion for crafty kinds of things. I quilt, make jewelry and other doodads, knit and crochet, make decorative brooms, throw a few pottery pieces, mosaic, do various types of needlework, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting. I'm learning to make baskets out of pine needles, and am even fussing around with some sticks and leather to make a rustic stick and leather basket...lol.
 Carving is very simple using a dremel; purple flowers/stems are lavender stalks from my yard; and each of the stones represent an element...earth, wind, fire, water. The turtle is sort of my animal talisman. The broom hangs in my bedroom.

I have three grown children...two boys and a girl...and they've graced me with seven GrandBabes...five girls, and two boys. Being a mother and raising my kids was the single most important thing I've done in my life. However, being a Granna? Well...that's a gift we get from them for not beating them senseless through their teen years...*grins*. My oldest son is a lineman who travels all over the US doing frightening things to establish/re-establish electricity. He and his wife have my two oldest GrandGirls...16 and 12 yr. old girls. My daughter, and middle child, works in a medical office part time while finishing school to become a PA. She's engaged to a phenomenal man, and they are both raising my 12 yr. old GrandBumbies. Bums and I spend a lot of time together...he's my good buddy. My youngest son and his wife are both active military with incredibly busy lives working, and taking care of their four kidlettes...three girls ages 10 1/2 (RoBee), 9 (Teeters) and 6 (GabbaWabba), and a rambunctious (almost) 2 yr. old boy I call "Bumps" or "Bumpies". They are all very excited, and supportive of this new adventure, and looking forward to spending time with me up on my little piece of the mountain. (Tried to add a few pics of the kids/Grands, but was having issues...another time.)

I love gardening, being outside, long walks on the beach...OOPS...*chucklin'* But seriously...I do love gardening, and being outside. Long walks on the beach? Eh...not so much. I'd rather sissy pants hike...aka meander around the woods. I tend to be a tad serious at times, but have been working on that issue...yanno...lightening up a bit. I love a good challenge...no matter the circumstances, but will cry "enough!" when I've had enough. I have limitations as to what I can do, so will definitely be hiring in some of the work I need done, but look forward to accomplishing what I can. The kids and Grands are looking forward to helping out when possible, too. I'm 55...so a "Fall Chicken" as opposed to a "Spring Chicken". Single (divorced for a good number of years)...so undertaking this venture by myself...much to some family members' concern...particularly my 75 yr. old mother...she's trippin' out big time! I'm very much an environmentalist...tree hugger...earth nurturer...spiritual...clean and sober 30 years...aware and awake to my life and of those around me...caretaker...poet...animal lover...carnivore...herbalist...earth mama...blah blah blah. It all feeds this desire to stake a claim of my own space...in this time...at this juncture in my life.

So...that's a little bit about who I am. Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

dreamer said...

Good to "meet" you , sounds like you have had quite a few adventures in your life already :)

LuRocks said...

Nice to "meet" you, too. chucklin'...the ex-spousal unit used to say, "I've been around baby." I'd laugh, and say, "Uh huh...around the block and back again." He was...is...an innocent/naive man...in many ways. I, on the other hand, have been around...and learned many, many lessons as a result of the many lives I've lived within this one.